Standing By The Sea

See the detail Image HERE

This painting was an inspiration after reading a beautiful poem Standing By The Sea by Carolyne Swayze. The author approached me with the request to illustrate the poem; and, the moment I read it, I knew what I wanted and how I wanted it to be painted.

 The poem was speaking to me in a very personal way. I've remembered my Grandmother who died at the end of year 2000, right before I came to America. It was so hard to let her go. She was my true soul mate ( in more Universal than romantic way). Living long but very hard life, she made herself becoming my great example; and, even now, writing this note I feel her peaceful presence in my memory (yet for some reason the tears are ready to come out)

I am sure that the poem would find a place in the hearts of the readers.

In my painting the boat is sailing into the Future, but the girl has her own Future and needs to find her own way. Her hand touches the heart and her heart is aligned with the ship at the horizon. The clouds on the left are darker and dramatic, when the clouds on the right are melting away lit by a Sun.

The poem speaks for itself:

Standing By The Sea

One day as I stood by the sea,
a sailing ship did sail towards me.
What beauty I thought,
what splendor, what grace,
when all at once my heart did race,
for as it neared, at a leisurely pace,
I saw a figure with my mother's face.
I called to her with all my might,
she turned and smiled, then sailed out of sight.
For one eternal moment I stood and stared,
before falling to my knees in motherless despair.

At just that moment I heard a sound,
through teary eyes, I looked around,
to see an Angel, hovering over the ground.
The Angel spoke in hallowed voice,
"Rejoice, dear child, for on this day
a trip to Glory is underway,
and when she reaches the arriving shore,
she'll greet loved ones gone on before.
So lament no more,"  the Angel scried,
"For God's Kingdom awaits her on the other side."

© Copyright 1997 Carolyne Swayze
All rights reserved. 


...............................................................
Original Artwork is 16"x12" on 300 lb Arches Cold Pressed Watercolor Paper

In Every Piece Of My Art There Is A Piece Of My Heart And A Sparkle Of My Soul

Popular Posts