Small Town In The Mountains - Watercolor Pencils - Step By Step

watercolour pencils

I was recently visiting my friend artist in a small town of Brentwood that is hiding between the golf course and just behind a highest point of Bay Area, San Francisco, the famous Mountain Diablo. We went to paint en plain-air style, e.g. we grabbed our art materials and went painting outside. 
The weather was beautiful. Everywhere I turned I'd seen a lovely subject for painting. I've chosen to paint a scene with a small town in the golf course hills with a huge mountain behind. My choice of the materials this time were watercolor pencils (I've previously wrote an article about watercolor pencils HERE ) . 

I've sketched the drawing with a simple pencil first, and then started applying my watercolor pencils. That was the part that was actually accomplished outside:


The trick with watercolor pencils is that you have to know what colors to mix and predict what outcome will be at the time you put  water on the paper. I intentionally was drawing with a limited pallet. Out of my 72 watercolor pencils that I have in the box, I've picked only 16 to go plein-air painting.

Here is the first stage of the drawing/future painting:


After, I got home the main work had begun. 
I've added more pencils in depth, then highlighted the drawing with ink:


Then, I grabbed a softest Kolinsky Sable brush Number 11 and dipped it in a clear water. First areas that were "watered" were large ones, the sky and the grass below. Then I started adding some water to the smaller details such buildings and trees:


Right away I've noticed that in some areas the wash of water made the colors too bright, in others the colors were simply "washed" away. But the good part, that with watercolor pencils you can always reapply the colors with one important warning though: the paper should be bone dry before you add more colors. 

After several times of re-applying the pencils and rejuvenating them with water (clear water on the soft brush), the painting was completed and now it is ready to see the World!! :)

watercolour pencils step by step

Cheers from 



Popular Posts