Peter Rabbit - illustrate a book - Workshop

Detailed Image:
Click Here
Detailed Image: Click Here



Detailed Image: Click Here

These three paintings not only became a first contribution to my Nursery Series Art for Kids, but also served a great purpose today at my Workshop - illustrate a book.

Being a huge fan of Beatrix Potter I fell in love with The Tale of Peter Rabbit. I was wondering what happened after Peter's mom put him to sleep that day when he got into a lot of trouble at Mr McGregor's garden. What if Peter Rabbit had a dream that Mr McGregor was actually a very nice man, who returned the blue jacket,  brought some carrots to Peter; and, later on, Peter's Mom made delicious carrot cookies for Flopsy, Mopsy, Cotton-tail and for Peter Rabbit of course....

These ideas didn't wait too long to jump on paper; and, today they inspired kids at my local library where I gave them a watercolor lesson. 

First, I painted my Tale in the three different scenes as I needed to make the master drawing to be easy for kids to work on. The final work was made of sections, easy to paint, with the nice visible edges and not too many details; yet, it still had a story to tell, colors to apply, and a good imagination to put in. 

I was a little nervous before the workshop as I did not know what ages and how many kids would come. The result was exceeding my expectations. The ages were from 1 to 12 ( sure the 1 y. o. did not paint; but the youngest artist who did paint was 3). We learned how to paint upside down, how to apply light colors first, darkest last, how to paint with the big brush and cover a lot of area fast, and how to add details at the very end with the tip of the brush. I think I had more fun than children.. Just kidding! They all were so excited. They shared with me that they knew the story about Peter Rabbit before they came (sure enough, they heard the story about Peter's dream for the first time as I just made it up :0).. 

Later on I brought a question for two most active girls about the next workshop, which is going to be on Winnie-The-Pooh.. I asked them what they think we should paint. Needless to say I left home with more interesting ideas... but sh-sh-sh.. I'll keep it secret until July :0)  



Everything was ready to meet kids. The paint was lined up, the paper was waiting for the young artists.


A few paintings together with the original book about Peter Rabbit were here for inspiration.


When main crowd of first coming artists (see Red Solo Cups on the back) left, I had fun with the ones that were catching up.


We've even learned how to clean our brushes before putting them away.


Brown was the primary color, yet the dream of Peter Rabbit was all blue and fresh.


Some of the few Artworks that will be traveling to the artists home galleries tonight with pride and more stories to tell.

In Every Piece Of My Art There Is A Piece Of My Heart And A Sparkle Of My Soul

Popular Posts