Japanese Tea Garden Plein-Air

Pond Iris Flowers San Francisco
Recently, when painting in Japanese Tea Garden of Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, I had an interesting conversation with a few visitors. They wanted to know how long it can take to make the painting like that one above. I explained them the difference between sketching and painting in the studio. Difference, they asked?! Absolutely, there is a difference between painting in the open air (under a morning mist) vs painting in the comfortable studio :0)
Here is my painting of the Tea Garden that I completed back in 2008:
Realistic Landscape
SOLD

Here is all: a careful exploration of composition, great deal of details, many hours of painting, stepping away, coming back and painting again.

Yet I still like to challenge myself with a plein-air painting when you have to make immediate decision on composition, be fast with the brush strokes, not be bothered by landing bugs, and proceed no matter what the weather is like.

Luckily, the day I painted the fist sketch transformed into the nice one. I even was able to sit outside the Music Concourse (looks like Roman Amphitheater) next to the Academy of Science museum and finish one more sketch:
Roman Theater
And later on, while resting at the De Young Museum cafe, I caught my sister in the moment of drawing. She was so focused on the process that barely noticed me "snooping" at her:
Cafe Scene


More Plein-air paintings are HERE


In Every Piece Of My Art There Is A Piece Of My Heart And A Sparkle Of My Soul


Popular Posts