Trip to Monterey or Not?

22"x17" Pastel on Tinted 80lb Paper
..........................................................

This was my Final Project and my Final Pastel Painting. 

The smiley model of this painting is an adorable boy from Africa who was adopted by  one great San Francisco family. His nature is just like a Sunshine. In fact, if to translate his name to English it would read something like that. The family is getting this portrait as a gift from the Artist.

I've used several techniques when working on this art piece. For the face, I put layer after layer with smudging technique, yet the eyes I've drawn with the point of a pastel stick in the sharp crisp strokes. For the fuzzy fleece jacket I placed my pastel stick horizontally on the paper and moved different directions to allow the texture of the paper to shine through. When I took the original picture it was not that colorful at all. The background was a concrete pavement with a few pigeons on a back. I decided to combine two in one. I got one of the photo references that I had from my trip to Monterey and made the little boy "travel" to that beautiful place. 

And now when my semester is over, I need to get inspired to paint as bring as pastels with my lovely watercolors. The "models" didn't wait too long. The day started bright; and my fresh-picked garden roses posed for me if they were asking to paint them in the future:



In Every Piece Of My Art There Is A Piece Of My Heart And A Sparkle Of My Soul

Popular Posts