Thank you Mom




All the cards in the World for my Mom!

With coming Mother’s Day this Sunday, I went back in times and looked at the things that my Mom did raising me as an artist. This humble modest woman, who was working in the Construction Bureau as the engineer, never held a brush in her life, and was raised in 50s by the Communist Soviet Union where everything what you do is predicted, written, controlled; this woman was encouraging me so much. She had no doubt that I will be an artist one day. In fact, I told her this news at age four.

When I was five, I remember I was in the hospital after a painful surgery of lymph-nods removal. My Mom gave me a first perspective drawing lesson there. In a playful manner she opened a huge secret for me that the sink in the bathroom of the hospital room is not square as I see. Not only it has thickness; but it appears having some parallel lines that are trying to meet far at the horizon. I was listening with open mouth and tried to copy her little drawing. Later the same day, I was looking at all things in my hospital room and drew them in perspective lines: the bed, the table, the mirror.

We also had a game in my family. I used to come to my Mom and bug her, Mom, Mom what should I paint? She would always say; Paint a Bunny. Then I went to my desk and after a silly bunny sketch I’d paint something else. Imagine, how many bunnies were sitting in my room by the time I become a teen.

In my teen years, not only my parents brought me to the art school, which kept me pretty busy and away from the street; my mom also found how to “talk” to her teenager-girl. She started writing me poem-letters; and, I would write her a poem in response. Later I’ve created a self-made book with her poems and illustrated it.
When time came to go to college, my mom posed for me half naked for hours on end that I could have plenty of figure drawings for my portfolio in the art school.

Sometimes I wonder what you would do for your child to succeed in this world. The answer comes easy. Everything! And I know it because my mom did.

But the most important thing I’ve known about my mom is that she is extremely proud of me. It does give me a lot of responsibilities; but, it also makes me happy.

There are not enough cards in the World to give to my Mom!
Thank you Mom!

In Every Piece Of My Art There Is A Piece Of My Heart And A Sparkle Of My Soul

Popular Posts