Is Abstract Real?





Is abstract real? In terms of realism.. 

How do we name an abstract painting and how does this apply to a viewer’s life experience? These and other questions I’ve discussed with the Maryland artist Kimberly Goodge last week when my husband and I were traveling to Baltimore and Washington, DC. As the artist who focuses mostly on realistic paintings I couldn’t imagine myself to paint abstract impressions. It just did not fit my style of careful approach to the painting, learning the details, and thinking of composition many times before touching the paper. Kim inspired me to look at the painting abstract process differently; she encouraged me to try and not to be afraid. And I did. 

I’ve decided to name my abstracts Inspiration One, Two, and Three. Abstract painting in impressionist style does not allow thinking slow calculating each detail; especially with watercolor abstract when paint is applied wet-on-wet. It is a great exercise thought for the artist like me. I enjoyed it tremendously; and, hopefully, my abstract paintings do show that.

Now back to the question “if the abstract's real”? Or, shell I reverse it and say: “can Realism be Abstract?” Take a close look at the middle of the flower, the veins of the petal, the rainbow on the bubble, or at the sand on the beach. Do you see what I see? Let’s call it Abstract Realism, or better Real Abstract!
..............................................................

Three Abstract Watercolor Paintings
14"X10" Winsor&Newton on 300 lb Arches Cold Pressed Paper 

In Every Piece Of My Art There Is A Piece Of My Heart And A Sparkle Of My Soul



Popular Posts