Girl's Portrait Study Phase I

I have not painted kids on the large format paper. This is my first try on 18"x24". I've met the girl this Fall at one party. The sun was shining just right and the parents were so kind to let me taking my future photo-reference that I've jumped to the opportunity. The girls personality is just amazing. Like a lot of Red Heads she was shining from inside. Shy at the beginning, she revealed her smart and talkative nature after the first half an hour of the party; and, became the main subject of admiration. The same moment when I took her photo she was sitting herself comfortably in the huge chair and all of a sudden she heard the dogs barking nearby; she was not scared, no, instead she was curious if this dog can jump over the fence that she can see it. What a Cutie!
.............................................................................................................................
After the drawing I've started the painting by covering the main area of the portrait with Masking Fluid around the edges and the middle of the portrait with the cut out paper. I've started the painting with the wash of yellow and alizarin crimson slowly moving to a darker (ultramarine blue and violet) colors. The reason I've chosen these colors for the background is that the girl has rainbow-flowery dress and I thought it would be nice to include the colors of her dress into the background wash.
...........................................................................................................................
The composition that I've chosen is also very unusual for me. The girls portrait is moved to the far right when I left almost a half of the painting for a background. I've done it intentionally to emphasize the feeling of sun and wind and make the viewer wonder what is there? what this girl sees? I believe this composition gives more space for imagination.

In Every Piece Of My Art There Is A Piece Of My Heart And A Sparkle Of My Soul

Popular Posts