Peruvian Princess Lily

parrot flower

A beautiful surprise I have found in my garden last morning. As this season I haven’t planted any flowers in my new house garden; I have to enjoy the previous owners imagination and keep observing different flowers pop here and there.. 

This time it was this cute gentle pink miniature lily.

I have grabbed my watercolors and employed my newly purchased watercolor pencils together with them. I wanted to try the combination of both long time ago; and, these flowers gave me a chance inspiring my artist’s curiosity. It was fun to experiment with different shades of the pencils and see how water unite the strokes and melts them together.

The painting came up more vibrant in colors as I didn't have chance to over-mix the watercolors on the palette; and, I had to use what was given in 24-pencil-bunch.



Along the way, I've also learned some interesting facts about the flowers themselves. For example, if to leave them in the garden, they can grow up to 3 feet tall. 
Native to South America, this plant is commonly called Peruvian Lily or Princess Lily; Lily Of The Incas or Parrot Lily; and, it's real botanical name is Alstroemeria. There are as many as 190 different types of this flower have been developed (no wonder, so many names it's gotten!!), featuring many different shapes and colors, including white, yellow, orange, apricot, pink, red, purple, and lavender. This flower is quite popular among the florists as it reminds a miniature lily; it is a hardy plant, stays in the bouquet long and doesn't lose the freshness of the color.

I bet my Peruvian Princess Lilies will never lose their vibrant "parrot" colors no matter how long they hang being framed and placed on the wall :)


www.artirina.com

Popular Posts