Sunflowers Rising - An Unusual Commission

yellow blue watercolor

I've received an interesting commission request recently; an unusual one for sure.
One of my clients asked to paint sunflowers for her. Nothing unusual yet. I have painted sunflowers many times and my customer was sure I can handle the job. She liked the bunch of sunflowers that I have painted before:
Realism Impressionism In Watercolor

My client asked if I can finish already started painting of sunflowers. Her late father-in-law was a wonderful watercolor artist and died before finishing this artwork. 
His name was Palmer Stinson. He entered a world of watercolors when he turned 70; and he painted for more than a decade producing gorgeous landscapes, floral paintings, and still life artworks. He also loved to paint Sunflowers. Palmer started a series of sunflower paintings and had chance to complete two large pieces. 
The last one he started; but, late years and illness did not allow him to paint; and he had to stop before age 88. 

I have to admit, the request to finish one artist's work was surprising and a little bit scary. But I was also curious how I will handle it. I had to work in collaboration with the artist's spirit.

The Sunflowers were already drawn on a paper and the artist was able to place a couple of washes for the flowers:


I had to cover the work that was already done and mask the flowers and leaves for a background wash:


I chose bright ultramarine blue for the background, and started from small sections going up:


The last section of the blue background was tougher than I thought. The section was large and I had to go carefully around each petal (even they were preserved by masking liquid) as I didn't want to ruin the beautiful artist's work on sunflowers:


After the background was completed, I have started painting sunflowers' leaves and stems:

watercolor

Then I placed the veins on the leaves and texture on the sunflowers' centers.
The artwork was completed:

completed artwork

I did enjoy painting this artwork, working in collaboration with the artist that passed away; yet he was there in his artwork. 
One evening, when I just finished painting the first few ultramarine blue sections, a thought crossed my mind:

"What if there is a message that artist wanted to place into this artwork. I wonder if he was thinking to place some kind of symbol there; maybe... a heart"

Imagine my surprise, when I came back to the work-inprogress to continue painting, I saw an obvious heart, in one of the leaf. 
And not even one heart I noticed but two were there! 

And I have not noticed them before:
Conscious or subconscious ? Who knows! 
The message has been received
:0)





Popular Posts