Watercolor Sunflowers - Bay Area Flowers Series


Being interested in different surfaces for my watercolors, I've decided to try Hot Pressed paper. I got a bunch of large sheets and started exploring why Some Like It Hot.

 I thought it would be great to do a series of paintings about Sun Francisco Bay Area Flowers. Living in this beautiful area allowed me to collect tons of photo references. 

These sunny flowers were growing in Lafayette. My sister and I drove through residential area once and discovered small field of sunflowers between the houses. What captured our attention is that the flowers were not turned to the Sun, they were lit from behind. We took bunch of pictures; and, I loved the one that my sister, Masha Batkova, had. 
Needless to say I wanted to paint it :0)

In my painting, I wanted to show not only the light penetrating the petals, but also the warm yellow against cold blue and cool greens. 

**************************************
Original Painting Sunflowers is 27"x21" watercolor on Hot Pressed Arches paper


In Every Piece Of My Art There Is A Piece Of My Heart And A Sparkle Of My Soul

Popular Posts