A Thousand Scratches And A Few Figure Drawings - Dogs Vs People

Scratch Board dog portrait

A little puppy Fred back in 2012. I made this drawing for my husband to have a good memories of our cute little puppy. The puppy is now 70 plus pounds and he got a brother, red fox lab, George. I have not had a chance to paint or draw both of them yet. But I do have lots of cute photo references. And with this drawing it is a good start.

The technique here is very interesting: the original surface is black and waxy. Then I took an X-acto Knife and applying scratch after scratch created this drawing. A thousand scratches later, the while puppy, grass, flowers, and a ball appeared on a black surface.
This drawing was a good practice for my hand.

******************************

Almost every artist knows that drawing skills help to make paintings better. 
I made myself a huge and valuable gift this Fall: I've enrolled in 6 hour Figure Drawing class . Each week for the next four months I will straighten my drawing skills, with live and not-so-life models, researching anatomy books,  and old masters drawings. 

I am excited!

By now we did some simple drawings in the class, fast sketches so to speak. We catch and sketch the movement of the model working with the lines.

anatomy study

art class



In Every Piece Of My Art There Is A Piece Of My Heart And A Sparkle Of My Soul

Popular Posts