Black & White Watercolor


Oh that was an interesting commission.
.....................................................................................................................................
My client asked to make a painting from black and white photo of her grand kids. The painting was a surprise gift for her daughter. When I looked at the photo reference I thought the lighting was quite unusual. Girls face is lit up from the bottom left corner, which makes the portrait being different from a standard setting. The composition of the photo has rotating dynamics. But I gave it a try and painted first 5"x7" small sketch and next 8"x10" painting. In the step by step photos you can see that I've started with the background (wen-on-wet technique) and then moved to the faces. The girl's face was a challenge, so I did it first. As the fist small painting that I made supposed to be a sketch I've inserted a flower with the color center in the girls hair by playing with the process and complementing the black and white approach of the rest of the painting.
.....................................................................................................................................
The client loved them and purchased both watercolor paintings. And her daughter was more than pleased to receive such an exclusive gift. My last observation is that when people give a painting gift to their loved ones it goes beyond what some expected merchandise can do; and, by bringing a giver an extreme satisfaction it also makes a person on the receiving end so happy, surprised and delighted (even the painting is Black&White ;)
.....................................................................................................................................
5"x7" and 8"x10" Payne's Gray Colour from Winsor & Newton on 140 lb Cold Pressed Paper

In Every Piece Of My Art There Is A Piece Of My Heart And A Sparkle Of My Soul

Popular Posts