Interview

I thought I will share the interview answers that I've recently gave to Art at Groby Community College. I love to read interviews with other artists and thought it might be interesting to share a little information. You are next ! :)

( Original questions are prepared by Carys Sheen from Art at Groby Community College, England)

- What’s your background?

My background is quite diverse, both with studying and jobs I have had. Besides working as an artist, I used to work for a travel company an insurance company, and have held jobs as a marketing manager, accountant, and pricing analyst. But if to focus on my art endeavors, I can say that I’ve received a great education in several art schools in Saint Petersburg, Russia, and I had an opportunity to work as a licensed artist and sell my art through the galleries of this one of the most beautiful cities of the world.

- What started you off in your career?

Quite frankly, I don’t remember when I’ve decided to be an artist; I always knew I would be one. A lot of people can say it was a childhood dream. I definitely can relate to that. But I also would add that as a kid I always knew I would be the artist, the knowledge was inside me. Throughout life, my path turned so many times, and I am happy that now I am getting back to my dreams. With the support of my friends and family, and the inspiration I have, I am continuing studying the arts (which I consider a great luxury of my mid life and a necessity for any artist).

- What’s your current status? Freelance? Company? Or is art a hobby?

Currently I am self-employed and sell my art through mostly on-line stores and art fairs.

- Who are your influences? Who have you been inspired by?

I’ve been inspired by old masters as well as contemporary artists. Just to name a few: Winslow Homer , Feodor Tolstoy , Beatrix Potter , John Stuart Ingle , Paul Jackson , Jan Kunz , Jacqueline Gnott , and many many more. I meet incredible contemporary artists through my blog. They are all amazing people and wonderful professionals.

- Is there a particular subject matter you prefer?

I love painting flowers lit by a sun, still life with old antiques or any other secular objects; however I am exploring a lot of portraiture and landscapes that are also becoming my favorite subjects matter lately.

- What are your working methods? Any particular techniques/methods you prefer?

I love to start my paintings wet on wet and later add dry brush technique.

- Do you work from primary or secondary source?

Long time ago when I was learning Academic Art in school I did work with primary sources only. The subjects and characteristics of my “models” that I am interested in now are changing rapidly. If I paint a flower, the sun is moving and the cast shadows are changing, the fruits in the still life might spoil, the facial expression for the future portrait can disappear in a second; therefore, I prefer using a photo reference as a source for my paintings.

- Have you ever exhibited your work?

Yes. Besides on-line galleries, I have exhibited my art work in the local areas: libraries, art galleries, restaurants, and cafes.

- Are you commissioned to do other things? Future directions for work?

I am mostly commissioned to paint in watercolors; however the craft business is also taking a good part of my time. Occasionally, I receive requests to make a certain type of jewelry, handmade signature cards; and, I also knit or crochet. I love the diversity; it helps me to stay sane and enjoy my life as an Artist.

Popular Posts